Aromatherapy: (Essential Oils)
What is Aromatherapy?:
Aromatherapy is also referred to as Essential Oils Therapy, can be defined as the art and science of utilizing naturally extracted aromatic essences from plants to balance, harmonize and promote the health of mind, body and spirit. It seeks to unify physiological, psychological, and spiritual processes to enhance an individual's innate healing process.
It was the French perfumer and chemist, Rene- Maurice Gattefosse, who coined the term “aromatherapie” in 1937 with his publication of a book by that name. His book “Gattefosse’s Aromatherapy” contains early clinical findings for utilizing essential oils for a range of physiological ailments. It seems vital to understand what Gattefosse’s intention for coining the word was, as he clearly meant to distinguish the medicinal application of essential oils from their perfumery applications. More information found at NAHA.
Contact us to have a custom perfume or room spray made for you!
Aromatherapy and Essential Oil Services Available:
* Custom made blend made to address your choice of spiritual, emotional, physical or energetic healing with aromatherapy
* Astrology and Essential Oils: Personal, custom made essential oil blend for your astrology sign (can be worn as a perfume)
* Increase vibrational levels (when low/run down, tend to catch colds, flu, etc.)
* Affirmations with custom made blend
* Topical / holistic aromatherapy (dilution, for safe use - NEVER used "neat")
* Classes on essential oils (profiles, safe use, holistic view with essential oils as one component, etc.)
* and more!
What are Essential Oils?:
The term “essential oil” is a contraction of the original “quintessential oil.” This stems from the Aristotelian idea that matter is composed of four elements, namely, fire, air, earth, and water. The fifth element, or quintessence, was then considered to be spirit or life force. Distillation and evaporation were thought to be processes of removing the spirit from the plant. (Reference: Handbook of essential oils : science, technology, and applications.)
The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) in their Vocabulary of Natural Materials (ISO/D1S9235.2) defines an essential oil as a product made by distillation with either water or steam or by mechanical processing of citrus rinds or by dry distillation of natural materials. More information found at NAHA
Use of Essential Oils?
I personally use essential oils on a daily basis for both myself, clients, family members and, of course, my beloved dog, providing personal consultation and guidance. I also incorporate during Reiki sessions using either intuition or if there is an individual preference. We can discuss in person via appointment, phone or email.
I offer the following aromatherapy options:
* Education (safe use is a MUST)
* Presentations and Workshops
* Purchasing of Essential Oils (Various brands available)
Essential Oil Safety and Use:
It’s important to know your oil – not all oils labeled “all natural” are in fact that. Be sure to read the label closely, research the company and ask questions and use what feels best to you. There are several ways to use oils:
- Inhale (diffuse; cup hands and inhale; apply diluted via roll-on or room spray to clothing/scarf/etc)
- Topical (apply diluted to skin – be care of “hot” oils, and NEVER use "neat").
Use a carrier oil such as coconut oil (my second favorite), extra virgin olive oil, jojoba (my favorite!), etc to dilute.
- Diffused into the air
Helpful tip: keep your citrus essential oils in the refrigerator to help them last longer. And pregnancy (human or animal) does impact what you can/can/t use safely.
To learn more about proper care, use and options for essential oils contact me today!